Houston, we have a problem; The Arctic ice is melting!!!
How come the ice is melt?
- Increase in Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and Carbon in both atmosphere and oceans.
- Increased emission of Methane gas from garbage (organic matter) decomposition in the soil.
- Increased humidity in the air
- Increased Nitrous oxide in air
Huh!!! What’s causing the increase in green house gases?
Electric Power consumption
Garbage in dumping grounds
Decomposition of organic waste emits carbon dioxide, carbon and methane into our atmosphere. The garbage that we throw everyday end up in a landfill and stays there till they decompose. And all the greenhouse gases are emitted into our atmosphere making it warmer. Building a bio-gas plant to process these garbage would meet our energy needs and also it reduces the net production of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
The Immortals – Plastics
Wastage of paper and cardboard / Deforestation
35 Trees = approx 1000kg of cardboard
- gasses emitted from vehicles, airplanes.
- Carbon dioxide that animals breath out.
- Increasing population.
Big deal.. What if all the ice melts?
- Increase in temperature
- Rising sea levels that might flood many of our sea shores
- Shift in climate
- Tsunami, tornadoes, acid rain
- Affects agriculture
- Economy crisis
- Catastrophe and chaos
- THE END!!!
But dude.. We have time. It will take centuries for all the ice to melt!!!
Hmmm.. How can we solve this problem?
- Reduce: We should reduce the consumption of natural resources and/or doing something that would harm our planet. Instead of using a plastic glass to drink tea from the vending machine, we could buy a coffee mug; Use jute bags instead of plastic carry bags;
- Reuse: If we are in a situation where we must use natural resources we have to think of reusing them. For example, using one plastic glass a day or a week until we get a mug.
- Recycle: Use recycled products and recycle used products. We should not just dump the plastics and paper along with other garbage. We should be recycling them.
Reduce power consumption
- Using stairs instead of lifts (it’s also healthy)
- Switching off lights which are of no use
- Making use of the ambient light / zero watt bulbs in the washrooms and gangways
- Switching off Fans/Air conditioner/ Heater early in the morning when the temperature is cool
- Setting the Air conditioner to room temperature. Ideally 22 – 25 ºC would be sufficient.
- Switching off the computers while going home after work (at least during the weekends if not everyday)
- Preferring CFL bulbs over ordinary light bulbs
Using biodegradable/reusable products instead of plastic
- Using Jute bags instead of plastic bags
- Fiber or glass or steel Cups/Mugs instead of plastic cups (especially in parties and offices)
- Fiber or glass or steel plates instead of plastic plates (especially in parties and offices)
- Fiber or glass or steel Cups/Mugs instead of paper cups (especially in parties and offices)
- Fiber or glass or steel plates instead of paper plates (especially in parties and offices)
- Use handkerchief instead of paper napkins
- Re-use waste sheets of papers to print your miscellaneous stuff
- Opt for receiving soft copies of your mobile/electric bills instead of paper copies
Preferring walking/public transport
Spreading the word
- Learn and teach about causes and effects of global warming
- Stop others from making the mistake
- Teach your kids to conserve energy and save our planet
- Share link to this post to all your family, friends, colleagues and social networking sites like orkut, facebook.
- A presentation about Global Warming presented by my colleague Saurabh Arora
- The movie “2012“
Share your ideas
If you know of any interesting ways to conserve energy or fighting global warming in our daily life, please comment below with your innovative ideas. Ohh.. and don’t forget to share this postwith your family, friends and colleagues.